Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fair trade, Greece, hello?!

So I've been going a little crazy over the fact that it's so difficult to find products you can trust to not have harmed anybody in the making process. So many farmers and workers in the developing countries are struggling to get food on their tables, and the reason is unfair trading rules.

The only way I know to sort out the safe products is to look for the Fairtrade label, and that didn't seem to be available in Greece. But apparently it is! It's just not in the supermarkets. Fairtrade Hellas have got a shop in the centre of Athens, close to the Acropolis metro station, and they told me on the phone that they do have Fairtrade labeled products for sale. So for those of you who live in the center, check it out. I will when I get a chance. (Note though that Fairtrade Hellas doesn't seem to be connected to the International Fairtrade Organization in other than the name and that they sell the products.)

Still not happy about not finding something better than this. I want to see these labels in the supermarket. What am I missing? Can Greece really be so low on people caring about the world that there is no demand for these things?

Make an exception from your "silence is golden" ideas people and write a comment! Wouldn't you want the option to just pay a few cents more for coffee, for example, and know that by doing this you are preventing poverty and not harming the environment?

What if I open an e-shop. Would you buy your sugar, coffee and tea from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment